Thursday, September 5, 2013

Update on Ella's room

As promised, here is what was missing from the last post on Ella's room.

Lamp:  Here is a picture of the lamp turned off:

You can also see her Piggy and Paws print better here.  This is a fun and functional lamp.

Poof:  You could kind of see this in some of the other pictures.  Brandy sewed this for Ella before this project started.  Ella's legs are perfectly imperfect and she shouldn't sit on the floor all the time.  I saw something like this on Pinterest and Brandy came to the rescue.  I used the sheet set from Wal Mart.  She had the turquoise used for the cording and the purple print we used on the handle.  We used old pillows to stuff it, and you can't unzip or open ours.  I worried a bit about the light colored fabric getting dirty, but this picture is after over a year of use, and I think it still looks fine.  This gets so much use!  I sit on it at night while she is falling asleep, she sits on it to play, and the boys sit on it when they visit her in her room.  When I want to clean her room, it stands up behind her closet door.  Love this!

I took a picture of her sitting on it for scale.
Please excuse her bed head, we are still in our pajamas!  Ours ended up being bigger than the ones in the blog, but we are happy with the end result.  Isn't that the best part of Pinterest?  I find something I like and make it work for me.

The wall over the bed:  I didn't do this the weekend Brandy was here.  This wall was a joint effort between Brandy, Nitia, and myself.  We all picked things up as we were shopping and her collection gradually grew.  I have changed it to add a few things, and I fully expect this to be a work in progress for a while.  Here is how it looks today:
I have to give my oldest son a s/o for holding the phone while Brandy and I used FaceTime to tweak this layout.  I love technology!  Here are some close-ups of the details.






The majority of these decorations came from Hobby Lobby.  There are a couple of exceptions.  I got the "Keep Smiling" print from Zulily. The orange canvas that says "She believed she could, so she did" came from Icing in the mall.  The plaque that says embrace it all was a gift from Brandy.  I have command strips on the back of the larger items to keep them from shifting or falling.

The wall between the closet and the door to her room:  I said that we didn't change this wall that weekend, but that isn't totally true.  I forgot that the shelves before were dark wood.  While we were at Home Depot buying paint, I got white shelves to brighten the space up.  
Bottom shelf - baskets came from Hobby Lobby 6 years ago (I think).  They both hold bows.  She has many bows, but these are not hanging with all of her others.  The basket on the right holds pig tail bows that are clipped in matching pairs.  The basket on the left holds larger bows that won't clip on the ribbon of her holder and the smaller pig tail bows.  Brandy makes bows, therefore Ella has every color and style we could ever ask for.  I have never bought a single one, it really pays to have crafty friends!

Second shelf - The frame with the cross has a 4 generation picture of my grandmother, mom, me, and Ella with an inset of one of my grandmother holding Ella.  The white frame is my favorite picture of Ella right after she was born.  Both pictures were taken by the splendidly talented Sara Welch.  Again, having brilliant friends pays off for me!  The basket holds miscellaneous items like extra toothbrushes, diaper rash cream, and lotion.

Third shelf - The blue/white polka dot container is part of a set of three that I got at PBK ages ago.  It has some old toys of mine in it (I think).  There used to be less books on this shelf, but Ella has gotten more destructive lately and I am attempting to save some of our favorites.  The bunny is just a soft ornament.

Top shelf - I got these memory boxes from PBK not long after she was born.  The large one with her picture on it holds all of her sentimental items from my pregnancy and her birth.  The other two hold cards and artwork from school.  The blue bear has been around since I had my oldest, and she occasionally asks for it.  The sheep came in a gift from my grandfather. Sara took that picture of Ella as well.

I put these shelves up when she was very young because I didn't have enough storage in her room.  I also felt like this was a good use of this wall space.  The space between the door coming into her room and her closet door isn't much bigger than this.

This is what sits under the shelves:
I got this at Target a couple of years ago.  Sometimes these bins are moved around, I think the pink was on top last week.  I intentionally left one cube open for display.  The toy that usually lives there was being played with when I took this picture.  Between this and her bookshelf, all of her toys have a home.


I wanted to post a better picture of the wall color. 


I think that was all I was missing from her room.  I don't think I will be remodeling this room any time soon, but if I do any major changes, I will update the blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment